Cattleya Planting and Transplanting: How to Plant an Orchid in a New Flowerpot
Cattleya orchid does not like transplants and often takes a long time to recover after them. Before carrying out this procedure, it is important to assess the condition of the substrate: if mold has started in it, it has compacted or oxidized, the bark has become rotten, it is better to transplant the plant. For planting, it is best to use a substrate for orchids, but you can independently prepare the soil from the bark and sphagnum moss.
The sequence of actions for transplanting Cattleya orchids at home is as follows:
- Find a new plastic pot of the right size.
- Spread a layer of expanded clay for drainage (approximately 2 cm).
- If the room has dry air, then you need to add perlite to the pot.
- Rinse the bark, mix with moss.
- Immerse the plant for several hours in water to soak.
- Before planting Cattleya into the ground, you need to remove all dried and decayed roots, sprinkle the cuts with charcoal.
- Place a plant on the bark layer, and fill the free space with soil.
The next two weeks after planting, the plant is not watered so that it takes root in a new pot.
An important point in the planting of the Cattleya orchid is its proper location in the flowerpot: it is desirable that the young pseudobulbs are located as far from the walls as possible so that there is room for their growth, for this, you need to move the plant from the center. Accordingly, old bulbs can be placed closer to the walls, as unpromising.
Cattleya Reproduction by Division
In natural conditions, Cattleya propagation occurs by seeds, and at home, it is better to use the division of pseudobulbs, each of which must necessarily have a growth point.
A plant is suitable for propagation, on which at least 7-8 pseudobulbs have matured. The procedure is best done in the spring after flowering. New shoots do not appear from all buds, but only from those located at the bottom of the pseudobulb. Therefore, before dividing the bush, you need to find all such buds and make sure they are in good condition: they must be green and strong.
When propagating cattleya orchids by dividing, it must be ensured that each separated plant has at least three pseudobulbs, at least one living bud on each of them, and the maximum number of living roots.
For separation, you need to use a sharp knife or scalpel, previously disinfected, so as not to infect the infection. All places of cuts need to be sprinkled with charcoal or coated with brilliant green and then dried. It is important to remember that you cannot treat the roots with alcohol or an antiseptic containing alcohol, as they can die.
When caring for the Cattleya orchid and by propagating it by dividing the bush, you can not only get new plants but also rejuvenate the mother.
The plant does not need pruning, you just need to remove dried flower stalks so as not to spoil the appearance of the plant.
Ways to Make Cattleya Bloom
Cattleya signals its mistakes during the growing process with its appearance:
- The leaves turned yellow and lost their luster – it is worth restricting the direct sunlight.
- The leaves became too dark – this indicates a lack of lighting.
- Fungal spots appeared – perhaps the night temperature is too low.
- If the cattleya does not bloom at all, then perhaps it has not yet reached the desired size.
- Irregular watering can cause a lack of flowering.
- Reddish spots on the leaves appear from the abundance of direct rays of the sun.
- If the flowers quickly fall, then you need to remove the flower in the shade.
- The flower stalk dries – not enough moisture or light.
When thinking about how to make a homemade Cattleya bloom, it is important to understand the conditions necessary for this. The most important factor is the length of daylight, allowing the plant to develop peduncles. To stimulate the process of bookmarking the kidneys, you can organize backlighting using phytolamps. And then you need to sharply reduce daylight hours to cause the growth of peduncles. The second method, effectively used by gardeners, is to limit watering.
Cattleya Resuscitation Without Roots: How to Save an Orchid
It happens that the roots of a flower rot.
This may be caused by:
- Excessive watering.
- Keep in a cold room.
- Rare watering in the heat.
- Fungi or bacteria.
In this situation, the plant can be saved. Cattleya resuscitation without live roots should be as follows:
- Place the plant in a jar and put it on a warm windowsill.
- Every day for 2 hours immerses the lower part of the bulb in water.
- Once every 20 days, the Epin growth activator can be added to the water.
- After activation of the kidney and the appearance of the roots of top dressing, stop.
- When the roots reach 5-7 cm, you can plant the plant in the ground.
I must say that this method of resuscitation of the roots of Cattleya can take up to 1 year, so it will require a lot of patience.
If the cattleya has several healthy roots, and most of them rotted or dried, then you can try another way of resuscitation. It is necessary to rinse the plant and dry for several hours. Put the orchid on dry bark without burying the rhizome. So that the flower does not fall under the weight of the leaves, it is desirable to fix it with something. Then you only need to moisten the bark at the bottom of the flowerpot so that new roots begin to grow and stretch to moisture, i.e., deep into the substrate.